Friday, January 8, 2010

sumpin' 'bout chickens


I reckon I will always be amazed by the complexity of farming. There are untold relationships down on the farm. I know, I know, I am hitting a pretty big subject here and it is unfair of me to tic off such a short post, but hey, it's Friday. Nigh on the next day(11:49 pm) and I'm tired, so short and sweet and just crooked enough to keep me thinking.

chickens: We have about 165 chickens. They consume a lot of time, and feed. They also provide a lot. Chickens are Food, whether it be eggs or meat or fuel for the soil. Fuel? Yes, fuel. Remember, I said they consume a lot of feed? So that means they generate a lot of...

Anyway, the amazing part is how varied tasks can be concerning these birds. Why, just the other day, Thursday in fact, Farmer Drew and I occupied the same space, a close proximity, doing very different things for the chickens. My duty was to build a roost for the night-time snoozey activities and Farmer Drew was culling the roosters and processing them for meat. Very different things, indeed. All connected.

It all helps and it is all farming!

And, I could go no and on. But not today. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment